Nowadays, in the era of technology, mobiles have become an important part of our lives. With the rapid pace of innovation, this is important to ensure the safety and quality of these devices. The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) has played a crucial role in this regard by introducing the Indian Standard IS 13252(Part 1):2010, a standard that sets guidelines for the safety requirements of information technology equipment, including mobile phones. In this blog, we will explore the significance of BIS Registration for mobile phones under IS 13252(Part 1):2010 and how it contributes to consumer safety and product quality.
BIS CRS Registration for Mobile Phones
There are so many electronic products that come under Compulsory Registration Scheme under BIS. You can check the list here.
Mobile Phones are covered under Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS), and it is mandatory to be tested and registered under Bureau of Indian Standards as per IS 13252(Part 1):2010 established by BIS (standard body of Indian government).
This standard specifically focuses on the safety aspects of information technology equipment, including mobile phones. It outlines the essential requirements that must be met to ensure the safety and quality of these devices.
Key Requirements of BIS Registration for Mobile Phones
- Electrical Safety: The standard established by Bureau of Indian Standards sets guidelines to ensure that the electrical components of mobile phones meet all the safety requirements, preventing risks such as electric shocks and short circuits.
- EMC (Electromagnetic Compatibility): Mobile phones must comply with EMC requirements to ensure that they do not interfere with other electronic devices and are not susceptible to interference from external sources.
- Radio Frequency Exposure: This standard addresses the potential health risks associated with radiofrequency emissions from mobile phones, setting limits to ensure user safety.
- Mechanical and Physical Safety: The standard outlines requirements for the mechanical and physical aspects of mobile phones, including the design and construction of the device to prevent hazards like sharp edges or unsafe materials.
- Chemical Safety: It ensures the use of hazardous materials in mobile phones, ensuring that these devices are free from substances that could pose harm to users or the environment.
Significance of BIS Registration for Mobile Phones
BIS registration is a mandatory requirement for manufacturers and importers of mobile phones in India. Here is the importance of BIS Registration for Mobile Phones:
- Consumer Safety: BIS registration ensures that mobile phones in the Indian market adhere to the safety standards outlined in IS 13252(Part 1):2010, safeguarding consumers from potential hazards.
- Quality Assurance: Compliance with BIS standards are indicative of a manufacturer’s commitment to producing high-quality products. It helps build trust among consumers, assuring them that the mobile phones meet established safety benchmarks set by BIS.
- Market Access: BIS registration is a prerequisite for gaining market access in India. Without BIS registration, mobile phones are not allowed to be legally sold or distributed in the Indian market.
- Regulatory Compliance: By obtaining BIS registration, manufacturers demonstrate their compliance with Indian regulatory requirements, avoiding legal issues and penalties associated with non-compliance.
The BIS Registration Process for Mobile Phones
The process of obtaining BIS CRS Registration for Mobile Phones involves several steps:
- Login with valid credentials (Firstly we apply for the portal registration to obtain login credentials from BIS)
- Generate Test Request
- Get product tested from BIS recognized lab.
- Verify the test report upon issue by Testing Lab
- Apply on portal using the verified Test Report within 90 days of its issue.
- Submit application with relevant documents as per checklist.
- Scrutiny of BIS application
- License Grant by BIS officials
Documents Required for BIS Registration
- Business Licence in regional language and English language as well
- CCL (Critical Components List)
- List of Models with Input/Output Rating
- Trademark certificate
- Technical Specification of the products
- Certified product details (Report & BIS certificate) which is used as component.
- PCB Layout with Enclosure Certificate
- Circuit Diagram
- GST Certificate of Indian Company
- ID proof of Authorized Indian Representative
If you want more detail for required documents for BIS Registration visit here.
BIS registration for mobile phones under IS 13252(Part 1):2010 is a critical step towards ensuring the safety and quality of these ubiquitous devices. It not only protects consumers from potential risks but also contributes to the overall growth and credibility of the mobile phone industry in India. As technology continues to advance, adherence to such standards becomes even more crucial, fostering a market where innovation goes hand in hand with safety and reliability.
Induce INDIA offers product compliance and testing services catering to both domestic and international manufacturers across a diverse spectrum. At present, the company provides expertise in more than 35+ types of product certification and testing compliance requirements.