BIS Registration for Electronics is a crucial aspect when it comes to Electronic & IT products. It is a quality control compliance that is required for the protection, standardization, and quality marking of manufactured products. This compliance creates an accountable and traceable system that eventually accommodates consumers, creating a sense of assurance and trust.
The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) is responsible for managing the product certification scheme in India to ensure product quality, safety, and trust. BIS certification is not a universal standard for all products, rather, products are governed under a particular Indian Standard. Therefore, it is important to obtain BIS Licence for your manufactured products to ensure compliance with Indian Standards and to gain the trust of your consumers.
BIS Licence promotes imports and domestic manufacturers by guiding them regularly with the correct specifications of the products to harmonize the flow and quality through certification and testing.
BIS Compulsory Registration Scheme For Electronic & IT Products
In 2012, the Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY) introduced the Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS) jointly with the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) to protect Indian consumers from spurious and substandard goods. The CRS scheme requires registration for electronics and IT products before launching them into the market.
According to the Compulsory Registration Scheme Orders, no one shall manufacture or store for sale, sell, import, or distribute goods that do not comply with the Indian standard specified in the order and do not bear the Standard Mark with a unique registration number obtained from BIS. Electronics and IT product certification come under BIS compulsory registration scheme. Therefore, it is important to obtain BIS Registration for Electronics to comply with the CRS scheme and ensure the quality of products produced by India’s manufacturers.
BIS grants a license to the manufacturers to use or apply Standard Mark with a unique R-number on electronics and IT products. BIS Registration is based on your self-declaration of conformity for goods and articles as per Indian Standards.
The conformity assessment scheme outlined in Scheme II of Schedule II of the BIS (Conformity Assessment) Regulations, 2018 governs the grant of a license and its operation under the Compulsory Registration Scheme.
To be precise, there is a total of 76 products category that have been recognized till now, out of which 63 products are added by MEITY, 5 by MNRE, and 8 by MHIPE. For your convenience, we are providing a BIS products list table with all the product names and Indian Standards required under the BIS compulsory registration scheme at the end of this article.
BIS Compulsory Registration Order
In this Compulsory Registration Order (CRO), the ministry listed a total of 15 categories of electronic products in the 1st phase. Later on, the ministry issued five phases at regular intervals. In the last and latest phase (Phase-V), the central government included 7 more electronic products on 05 October 2020, which makes it a total of 63 Electronics and Information Technology products.
Not just that, other departments also added some of the products to the BIS REGISTRATION SCHEME like 5 products related to solar photovoltaics, systems, devices, and components which are added and regulated by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE), and 8 products related to low – voltage switchgear and control gear which is added by the ministry of heavy industries and public enterprises under BIS REGISTRATION.
If you are a Manufacturer of any electronic or IT product, then we are sure you immediately want to check beneath the table for your product specification under Indian Standards, and you could but don’t miss the exact details with facts and figures we are about to present in this article. Your inquiries for the latest updates about BIS registration are always welcome at [email protected]
Requirement of BIS Registration
The following are the essential requirement of Bis Registration For Electronics under CRS:
- First of all, if you are a manufacturer of any product included in the CRS Scheme, then registration is required for that product before launching them into the market.
- The manufacturer seeking to register to use or apply Standard Mark on their product shall conform to the requirements of Indian Standard Specifications.
- The BIS license will be granted to you by BIS based on your self-declaration of conformity of the product with the application you are submitting.
- This self-declaration of conformity from you indicates that your manufacturing infrastructure can produce quality products with necessary testing facilities which can test the products in the prescribed period at your premises only.
Documents Required For Bis Registration
The following documents are required for BIS Registration for Electronic & IT Products under CRS scheme.
The bis certification cost for electronic products will vary with Respect to the following:
- Location of Manufacturer. (Domestic/Overseas)
- Type of Product and Number of Models.
- Applicable government fee and service fee.
- If you already tested your product in the past and wanted to use the prior test reports for BIS CRS Certification, just be sure that the test reports are not older than 90 days from the date of online application receipt.
- In case you like to submit a supplementary test report from the brand whose product is already tested and accepted by BIS, then the supplementary report will be considered but not older than 90 days from the date of application.
- The time period of testing will depend on the lab chosen by the manufacturer and the submission of technical details for testing the product. Samples for initial registration can be submitted directly to any of the BIS-recognized labs.
- Afterwards, the registration will be processed by BIS if all submitted documents are in order. Independent samples are picked up only during the surveillance process.
- If there is no adverse feedback in the frequent observation, then the licence needs to be considered for renewal in a period of a minimum of two years on the request of the licensee. The acceptance of the request for renewal of BIS Licence will also depend upon the application fee, annual fee, processing fee, and any dues that should be submitted prior to the application of renewal of BIS Licence.
- The renewal application can be created from the BIS portal in Form - VI along with an attachment to Form VI (Production Report) preferably three months before the validity date (2 years).
- The BIS licence will be called as expired after 90 days from the validity date (2 years) if the renewal application and requisite fee (including late fee) is not received from the licensee.
Gainful Grant of License
Now that all the submission with quality testing, Conformity, and Documentation work is in line. The Granting of Licence from BIS is expected to be completed within 20 working days. In case the documentation and conformity are not satisfactory or in any deficiency at the first instance, the BIS concerned official will communicate with you the same with a rejection notice if the deficiency is not resolved within 30 days.
Free Call Back
INDUCE INDIA official brochure to explore about all the services and products. Please download to explore.